CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: building a 3or4 axis cnc

Posted by jim austin
on 2002-11-27 03:31:34 UTC
Tom,
My plans are to be able to cut a 4x8 sheet of wood or steel. At this stage due to space I would like to build it so that I would have the option of using it for both purposes. For starters I'm looking at using it for routing since I have numerous routers laying around, and have not yet committed to a plasma cutter. I figured I'd better see if can make it go with what I have on hand to play with. Building the gantry, and table is the easy part of the project, it's getting the electronic end put together that's looking tough. Just when I think I got it figured out what I want I read something else and then I'm not sure. I would really like to use servos to drive, and the software I really don't have a preferance. The only routing software I have been exposed to is Alpha Cam .I went to Georgia for training on the software after my work place purchased some new industrial cnc routers using it. One thing that confuses me is this parallel vs. series port thing. Which is the better way in the long run? Is one friendlier than the other? Is this a software issue? Personal preferance? I really don't want to buy anything until someone can clear this up for me. As I stated in my first post I kind of like what I see with the DesKam DeskWinNc driver, but this is a series port and I don't see many out there. The price seems reasonable, but is this one of those get what you pay for deals.
Sorry, I can get long winded , but I'm just anxoius to get started after seing all the possibilties
Thanks,
Jim

caudlet <tom@...> wrote: --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "bartles8971" wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to the group, and have been told that this is the place
for
> for infinite wisdom I seek.
> I have decided to build a cnc router or
> possibly a plasma cutter.I have been doing research on this topic
> and have become quite confused. I would like to use servos to drive
> with and have been looking at the DeskWinNc controller and
software.
> I would like to use the Gecko drives also. Does this make any sense
> or am I completely off track. Any help on this would be of great
> appreciation.

Give us a little more info. How big are you thinking. What do you
want to end up cutting? Once you have a good XYZ design in mind
there are little differences in the router or torch from a controller
perspective and slightly more from a mechanical perspective(outside
of the obvious need for more torque with a router and more speed with
a torch!) Can you do both on one table: absolutely. It has to be
designed with the dual function in mind.

The general opinion of the group is that servos are the better way to
go in most circumstances. With the advent of the inner loop
controlled Gecko's, setting up a good servo machine is not much more
difficult than setting up a stepper design. Servos definitely have
the advantage in power vs size and in a wider range of torque across
the RPM curve. High RPM from steppers is difficult to obtain and
with no feedback, missed steps can cause elusive and costly
problems. In stepper systems you normally have a choice of speed or
torque and usually mechanical means are used to pick which one. With
a wider range of speeds, the servo system can be used at both ends of
the spectrum. A router is normally used in the 10 to 60 IPM range
depending on the type of material and bit being used. A plasma torch
cut rate can be up to 120IPM on thin material. There is also the
little problem of the torch cutting thousands of little tiny slices
out of your work surface.

The main thing is to stay excited and enjoy the building and learning
process. This list is a rich source of information (sometimes too
rich) and can save you hours of grief, and many times, substantial
money.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner