CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 phase steppers (was: Motor current measurement)

Nicolas Benezan wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>
>yes, sounds reasonable. But what strategy is used to regulate the
>current? For a 2 phase drive it's easy because the windings have
>separate terminals. You can simply turn on the corresponding transistor
>and wait for the current to rise to the nominal level and then turn off.
>
>At a 3 phase drive I could do the same for 2 terminals but the current
>of the 3rd is always the sum of the 2 others. So depending on the angle
>of the current vector I have to consider which terminals are regulated
>and which is "floating" and have to switch the current sensor inputs
>accordingly. Sound a bit tricky to me. I thought there is some trick to
>simplify this.

Yes, but the key is that the currents are NOT independent. All you have
to do is regulate TWO
of the lines, the third must follow. You only need 2 current sensors.
One scheme is to put a
50% square wave on one line, and then apply varying pulse widths to the
other 2 lines. Take a
look at the ML4423 chip (oddly, no longer made, but the data sheets are
still on the successor
companies' web site years after the part was discontinued). Just do a
Google search for ML4423
and you should find it.

Nicolas Benezan 2002-11-23 08:58:30 UTC 3 phase steppers (was: Motor current measurement) Jon Elson 2002-11-23 22:16:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 phase steppers (was: Motor current measurement) Nicolas Benezan 2002-11-27 02:39:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 phase steppers (was: Motor current measurement) Jon Elson 2002-11-27 09:50:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 phase steppers (was: Motor current measurement)