CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Spindle Options

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2002-12-09 14:04:05 UTC
Message: 24
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:36:46 -0000
From: "wjbzone <wjbzone@...>" <wjbzone@...>
Subject: Spindal options

I posted this question a few weeks ago and got a lot of good reply's.
I am narrowing down my choices.

Has anyone used the Kress 1-1/4HP variable speed router? Any comments?
http://www.techno-isel.com/CNC_Routers/Spindles/variable.htm

[No, but it looks pretty good for light stuff. A regular (big) wood router
is usually upwards of 3hp, though, and still slows down in hard material.

My other choices include:
1.Foredom TMX 1/3HP flexshaft with a 25H handpiece.
(variable speed up to 15000rpm, flexability and access )

[I don't think a flex-shaft is a good choice for a CNC spindle. The motors
are okay- a bit light-duty, but the speed varies nicely- but the flexible
shafts themselves are temperamental. They tend to cause problems- heating,
binding up and breaking- even in normal intermittent operation, and I can't
imagine that they'd be up to continuous use for tens of hours at a time,
like some parts require.]

2. Sherline headstock
(stiff spindle, 10000 rpm)

[The Sherline DC motor/controller units are pretty nice, and suitable for
small mills. The top speed is only about 3600 rpm, though- you get up to 10k
rpm with the special pulley set. This assembly might be more trouble to
mount on your machine than it's worth, though- it seems like you want to
find something you can just bolt on and run.]

3. Dewalt laminate trimmer with a router speed control. (can't find
much info on a router speed control)

[Basically, they slow the tool down by chopping the wave- you go slower at a
certain sacrifice in torque.]

I got my project bolted together and running. It gets to be fun when
you can move XYZ around. Posted a couple of new pictures.
http://hometown.aol.com/wjbzone/index.html

[That's looking very slick for a "homebuilt" machine! Don't you think it
wants a full-sized router http://porter-cable.net/porcab75314h.html, or
maybe an industrial die-grinder
http://www.primetools.com/metabo/die_grinders.html, so it can handle
whatever you throw at it?

Thanks
Bill

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2002-12-09 14:04:05 UTC Re: Spindle Options