CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tape drive motors

Posted by Bill Higdon
on 2002-12-11 08:07:08 UTC
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts is that hthere is
usually a quadrature encoder attached to the capstan. This is used for
position and speed control. I'm not sure what the resolution would be
though.
Bill Higdon

WDSmith wrote:
> Thanks guys!
> I really haven't decided yet. I have a lot more iron that I have fire so
> wanted to get an idea of what they would do in order to make the best match
> possible. Right now, I am assembling a 10 x 54 Atlas lathe bought on "Smith
> Credit" (one part at a time on eBay when I could spare the money), have a
> pretty good sized antique horizontal mill and am building a small vertical
> knee mill. Hopefully, the vertical will wind up CNC. If adequate, they could
> provide the main power on two of the three.
>
> I was a little bit shocked to find these motors were plain old two-wire
> motors with no encoders or obvious means of control. I figured the 5/8
> shaft meant they made some torque so probably could best be used for power
> instead of control. If they were not up to snuff for the three main tasks, I
> still have plenty of needy projects left :o)
>
> WDSmith
>

>>WDSmith wrote:
>
> in quest of some info on the old Amtek/Lamb Electric 50 volt DC motors used
> in the old tape drives. I have a couple of them and hate to let them
> languish when I have plenty of places to use them.... But, I need to have
> some idea of what they will do and what kind of power they need to do it.
>
>>>Can anybody help? Reply off-list to mediasmith@... if you want to
>>
> minimize list clutter.
>

>>No, this is actually ON topic for a change. These motors are probably
>
> quite good for most purposes.
>
>>They had a little higher armature resistance than I thought was a good
>
> idea for commercial use on
>
>>a Bridgeport Series-I size machine, but will almost certainly work fine in
>
> hobby use even on that
>
>>size of machine. These motors were wound for low RPM, high torque use,
>
> which is a bit rare
>
>>in servo motors, but ideal for CNC'ing milling machines and lathes.
>

>>I think some people have used these with Gecko servo drives with good
>
> results. You could also use them
>
>>with Westamp, Servo Dynamics or Copley Controls servo amps, and an
>
> analog-out servo interface
>
>>board like the Servo-to-Go or my PPMC board set.
>

> What sort of machine are you planning to use them on?

Discussion Thread

WDSmith 2002-12-10 22:15:13 UTC tape drive motors Bill Higdon 2002-12-11 08:07:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tape drive motors