CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: PowerSupply Amperage?

on 2002-12-16 16:11:19 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Fusion X Studio"
<fusionxstudio@h...> wrote:
> They are Power-One F24-12-A, I think regulated power supplies.
What is the
> difference and how does it affect the machine?
>
> Thanks,

Nothing wrong with using regulated power supply. If it is a linear
(big power transformer) with series pass (power transistors on the
chassis) then you should put a large diode in series with the
positive output rated at least 50PIV and 20A. Probably be a stud
mount that needs mica insulators. The cathode goes towards the load
(arrow points to the cathode end). This will keep spikes and
transients from the motors from taking out the series pass. A
switcher might need a larger capacitor on the output for smoothing
out the surges.

As long as you are using current limited motor drivers and you keep
the voltage below the ratings of the drives you can use just about
anything that gives low ripple DC. The name plate voltage on a
stepper is just there to confuse you. They are current devices
and "draw" current from the source based on their reactance
(frequency dependent resistance). If you apply too much voltage to a
stepper it will draw too much current....unless your driver limits
the current then it just stops the pulse (woops, got enough!). Why
would you want more than 6 volts? Well the trick to getting steppers
to step quickly is to make the time from zero current to full rated
current as short as possible so we hit it with more voltage.

Here as in analogy: Lets say you have a bucket you want to fill and
it only holds 1 gallon. Your source is a larger bucket setting
slightly above it. There is a hose between them and we have a
valve. The hose limits how fast we can transfer the water into our
empty bucket. Now if we want to fill this empty bucket quickly
because we have more buckets to fill, then we have to find a way to
move the water faster. We can't make the hose larger (reluctance of
the load) so we pick our source bucket up and set it on top of a
ladder. Now there is more force (EMF or voltage) and the bottom
bucket fills much faster and would quickly overflow but we have the
valve to cut it off precisely when it reaches the top. Now we can
start to fill the next bucket. What if we had the empty buckets on a
wheel and by filling each one we could start the wheel rotating. The
faster we could get the water moving and fill each bucket and the
more water we got in each bucket the faster the wheel spins....

Now if you have the patience to read the tutorial you know everything
about current and voltage...sorta.

Discussion Thread

Fusion X Studio 2002-12-16 08:21:51 UTC PowerSupply Amperage? Dan Mauch 2002-12-16 08:36:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PowerSupply Amperage? Fusion X Studio 2002-12-16 08:47:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PowerSupply Amperage? caudlet <info@t... 2002-12-16 16:11:19 UTC Re: PowerSupply Amperage? alex 2002-12-16 16:37:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PowerSupply Amperage? Fusion X Studio 2002-12-16 19:04:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PowerSupply Amperage? JanRwl@A... 2002-12-16 20:03:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PowerSupply Amperage?