CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: encoders from servos?

Posted by stratton@m...
on 2000-02-14 15:57:00 UTC
> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> What is a quadrature encoder and how do I know if I have one?
> I have a bunch of old servos and want to take the encoders off to make
> Lindsay's DRO. Are these the encoders I need?

If you are by chance talking about radio control model servos, then
the answer is no (those are simple variable resistors).

If you mean large servomotors designed for machine tools or similar
applications then yes, there is a good chance they might work. On the
other hand, perhaps you could use the servos AND the encoders to CNC
your machine tool.

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton@...
Instrument Maker, Horn Player & Engineer

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-02-14 07:58:26 UTC encoders from servos? Jon Elson 2000-02-14 10:44:48 UTC Re: encoders from servos? stratton@m... 2000-02-14 15:57:00 UTC Re: encoders from servos?