CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Can see the forest for the trees

on 2003-01-05 17:24:51 UTC
Hi,

There are plans all over the net.

there are simple machines to just etch boards with no real horse
power, but etching boards is not high power stuff.

You can design your own out of wood and get a very good machine for
your puposes. look at the files and photos sections and check out
the pics to see if you are comfotable doing something similar.

Google search crankorgan for a simple, low cost plans set. this is a
neat unit, but it is labor intensive. you trade hours for dollars.

You could get an X/Y table from use-enco.com for around $125.00 or
less if you shop for a discount. then a simple Dremel and your Z
axis or even the head from a mill, (Sherline ?) would top it off.

Maybe Tim will expound on the sherline mill head for us ? Does it
have a column? dovetail or some sort of slides ?

There is a heavier top end like those on the mini-mill for less than
a few hundred.

Doug's stepper kits at hobbyCNC or even stepper world would offer low
cost steppers and drivers. Xylotex offers the drivers seperatly, if
you can find good steppers somewhere.

If you want more power, a mini-mill goes for around $500.00 and can
be CNC'd pretty easily if you have the tools. Check the work
envelope to see if it is what you need.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ghidera2000
<ghidera2000@y...>" <ghidera2000@y...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Been perusing the yahoo archive and following links for the last
> couple of day but, I'm still (almost) completely lost. Is there a
> faq somewhere? Haven't seen one in the files or links section.
>
> I've searched the archive for "starter","beginner", "pcb
> router","pcb drill" and many other things but still no real luck in
> finding out any specifics.
>
> Anyway, what I'm after is either plans for building a pcb driller
or
> a recommendation for a pre-built one. I'd also like to hear
> recommendations on what software would be good to use. I'm not
> afraid of spending money to get these things but, the few prices
> I've seen seem to be in excess of $2500US just for the driller,
> which is too much for me. I'm hoping to spend between a fair bit
> less.
>
> I do have electrical, electronic and woodworking experience. I have
> my own woodshop and I can produce PCBs by etching (want to stop
> using the nasty chemicals). I'd rather build a mill than buy pre-
> built. Its all hobby to me so purchasing a pre-built would be a
> little pointless :D
>
> P.S. I'm in Canada so European stuff probably won't help much.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can toss at me!

Discussion Thread

ghidera2000 <ghidera2000@y... 2003-01-04 22:16:08 UTC Can see the forest for the trees ftomazz <filipetomaz@p... 2003-01-05 03:31:04 UTC Re: Can see the forest for the trees JanRwl@A... 2003-01-05 16:12:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can see the forest for the trees turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-05 17:24:51 UTC Re: Can see the forest for the trees James Owens 2003-01-05 18:07:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Can see the forest for the trees Tim Goldstein 2003-01-05 18:30:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Can see the forest for the trees