CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder Signals

Posted by Les Watts
on 2003-01-06 05:59:06 UTC
For long runs I use cable that consists of 3 shielded twisted pair
in a differential configuration- A, Anot, B, Bnot, I, Inot. Power
(+5v and return) is wired elsewhere. The shields are hooked up
at one end only.

I find this works well even when the cables are laying right next
to PWM motor power leads running 20 amps. They end up all
being bundled in flexible Igus energy chain conduit.

Don't have differential output encoders? A couple dollars worth
of parts can convert them.

In the past I have had problems with single ended (TTL) encoder
lines and noise so I strongly suggest the differential approach.

As a last note make sure cables are rated to handle the thousands
of cycles of flexing that they will get! CAT5 cable is solid conductor
I think, so might it not be too good for this.

Les
Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA