CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Conversion for Education

Posted by Bill Higdon
on 2003-01-07 18:32:03 UTC
Robert, Darrell, and anyone of interest.
My first intro to CNC was back in 1966, I was a Junior in High School,
Our Metal shop got a surplus CNC 3axis mill that was missing all the
electronics. I was in the schools Vocational Electronics class (2year
program). I suggested very strongly that the Vocational Class be given
the "assignment of building a new set of electronics for it. How ever
the Powers that BE turrned that Idea down. Fast forward 6 years, I had
gotten out of the Army, a friend who was part owner in a machine shop
had bought the mill from the school district. Another friend of his and
I built a new set of electronics for it for about $100.00 and some
scrounging. The electronics worked for another 20 years before being
retired. I still think that getting the Electronics class to work with
the Metal shop classes to get it running would have been an education
well worth the time. I don't know if Darrell's school has an electronics
program, but if they do, I think getting them involved would be a Great
idea.
Bill Higdon
my $0.02 worth ( adjusted for Inflation)

Discussion Thread

dewoodwood <dewoodwood@y... 2003-01-07 16:59:40 UTC CNC Conversion for Education Robert Campbell 2003-01-07 18:07:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Conversion for Education Bill Higdon 2003-01-07 18:32:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Conversion for Education