CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Novice Newbie

on 2003-01-17 11:10:26 UTC
Hi Mike,

If you're looking for an intro to hobby CNC, read the paper posted in
the files:

HTH

Alan KM6VV

"mmambro " wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I'm very, very new to CNC; just the only thing I know about it is
> what the letters stand for. My experience in machining is limited to
> the type of work needed for clockmaking and restoration. I have a
> small knee mill (Myford VM-C) which I would like to convert to cnc to
> do things such as cutting out the plates for a skeleton clocks, the
> crossings on wheels (gears) and pallets for escapements. I'm sure
> once I got a taste of it, the applications would expand.
>
> My ultimate dream would be to either design or scan something on my
> pc, put the stock on the mill, and watch it go! Ultimate finishing
> for traditional sharp corners and angles would be done by hand.
>
> I've read through the series that appeared in the Home Shop Machinist
> in the mid-90's and orded (and not yet received) the back issues for
> the seires that appeared over this past summer.
>
> Are there other references? The sites on the web are way above my
> head (and I wonder if they are really in English). What do I need to
> get a system going? Will it cost me as much as the mill is worth?
>
> Sorry for such a rudimentry question, but I just can't figure out
> whether my expectations are realistic and how to take the first step.
> By the way, this is for hobbiest level activity and fun; not a
> commercial venture.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Discussion Thread

mmambro <mmambro@y... 2003-01-17 07:11:40 UTC Novice Newbie Tim Goldstein 2003-01-17 09:55:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Novice Newbie Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-01-17 11:10:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Novice Newbie