CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Spindle Motor - Stepper v DC Motor

on 2003-01-20 21:59:53 UTC
Jeff Thanx for the feedback.

So in a nutshell, it's not the way to go !

Regards

PeterC

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp <xylotex@h...>"
<xylotex@h...> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> Steppers have low torque at high speeds. You wouldn't be
cutting
> too much aluminum unless the stepper was really big. If you want
> direction and speed control, you would be better off putting an
> encoder on a spindle motor and using a variable frequency drive
which
> can manipulate the speed and direction for you. The encoder is fed
> back to the control, so you could do tapping (assuming the
software
> handles it).
>
> Jeff
> http://www.xylotex.com
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cruickshank
> <crankshaft_sg@y...>" <crankshaft_sg@y...> wrote:
> > Hello all;
> >
> > Need some pros and cons regarding switching from my Sherline DC
> > Motor to a Stepper Drive.
> >
> > Obvious advantages are easy speed & direction control which
makes
> > tapping & auto tool changes possible, what other advantages /
> > disadvantages are there ??
> >
> > If I was to replace the 1/2 hp DC Motor with a stepper, what
nema
> > size, holding torque & drivers would I require to be equivilent
in
> > terms of torque ??
> >
> > Many Thanx
> >
> > PeterC

Discussion Thread

Peter Cruickshank <crankshaft_sg@y... 2003-01-20 04:03:54 UTC Spindle Motor - Stepper v DC Motor jeffalanp <xylotex@h... 2003-01-20 10:32:44 UTC Re: Spindle Motor - Stepper v DC Motor Peter Cruickshank <crankshaft_sg@y... 2003-01-20 21:59:53 UTC Re: Spindle Motor - Stepper v DC Motor