CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Image to Gcode

on 2003-01-22 05:56:53 UTC
Ron,

I have some raster processing code which converts images to movement
commands for my hexapod. It can be (and currently is) limited to three
axis tool path generation. An enhancement under development generates a
5-axis tool path.

Input format are many -- I use ImageMagik to import the images. It
includes as least: GIF, PNG, JPEG, RAW, BMP, and XCF. I don' t know if it
supports PSD files (Adobe Photoshop).

It knows about cutter shape, and handles square-end mills, V-shaped router
bits, and ball-end mills.

It supports two algorithms, and is typically used to generate two toolpaths
(depending on application). The first mode is an optimized raster scan of
the image. The second mode traces the edges of an image.

Each time the tool is run, it produces a resultant raster showing what the
output cut will look like, which takes into account the tool shape and fit
with the desired cut.

Typically, I generate a tool path for the edge, then generate a tool path
for the remaining portion. I run the tool paths in reverse order, in
effect cutting the insides then the borders.

If you wanted to use a large tool for rapid material removal, followed by a
small tool to cut details and tight corners, this is also supported.

I could make it available as a Windows runtime. It currently runs on
Linux. If there was any interest in co-development (such as adding a
G-code output), I could share the source code.

-- Carl

At 05:35 AM 1/22/2003 +0000, wdyasq <rgbrown@...> wrote:
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "kdoney_63021
><kdoney_63021@y...>" <kdoney_63021@y...> wrote:
> > Anyone have any suggestions or comments on the process or software
> > should use?
>
>RHINO has a bitmap/jpg/gif to CAD program. From there one could get
>a DXF file then to G. I think IMsrv.com has DeskCNC that will
>convert also. ShopBot has a converaion programas does ArtCAM and
>many other high-end programs.
>
>Ron

Carl Mikkelsen
cmm@...
www.foxkid.net

Discussion Thread

kdoney_63021 <kdoney_63021@y... 2003-01-21 18:17:11 UTC Image to Gcode wdyasq <rgbrown@i... 2003-01-21 21:35:58 UTC Re: Image to Gcode Carl Mikkelsen, Oasis 2003-01-22 05:56:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Image to Gcode