CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: conversion of glue machine

"D.F.S." wrote:

> Maybe this didn't come thru as clear as it should have in the original
> post
> either.
>
> This thing appears to be generic.
>
> >From looking and all the extra connectors and inputs, it appears this
> company
> had one base design that they installed different tools on and sold
> for
> different tasks.
> I'm sure board drills, pick & place, and inspection were other
> products offered.
>
> The Z axis for example has no real need to move for a glue machine, a
> cheap
> magnetic engage mechanism would be more than enough.
>
> The linear bearings run on 1" rod.
> It weight about 40 lbs.
> It has hydraulic and pneumatic lines and controls integrated into the
> mechanism.
> I IS very overbuilt for a glue machine IMHO.

Yes, I thought this might be. Some circuit board drillers are
relatively light (like around 700
Lbs.) and some, like the 'Caddilac' of the breed, from Excellon, are
more like 7000 Lbs.
They have a granite base 5 feet square and 8" thick, sitting on granite
legs. The PC
board rides on an air bearing table, and the head is mounted to a
granite gantry composed
of 3" x 8" granite beams. The spindle motors use air bearings. I'm a
little worried about
how rigid your 40 Lb machine with the 1" rods will be. I suspect it
will vibrate quite
a bit when the drill bit cuts into the board material, or when an end
mill is taking an
interrupted cut.

> The only real milling I expect to do is on plastics, and maybe
> aluminum for
> face plates, and the usual signs and such.
>
> Maybe it won't be up to the loads of milling.
>
> The REAL purpose is for one-off circuit board manufacture.
> IE. Plotting lines, and drilling holes.
>
> I'm sure it is up to the task mechanicaly, I can't detect any play in
> the mechanism by hand. I'm sure digging out a good dial indicator,
> would find
> some, but I can't feel any.

Well, I guess you'll find out.

Jon Elson 2000-02-17 21:21:26 UTC Re: conversion of glue machine D.F.S. 2000-02-18 08:54:58 UTC Re: Re: conversion of glue machine Bertho Boman 2000-02-18 10:59:24 UTC Re: Re: conversion of glue machine D.F.S. 2000-02-18 12:18:59 UTC Re: Re: conversion of glue machine Jon Elson 2000-02-18 15:43:04 UTC Re: Re: conversion of glue machine