CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anyone done pll / servo speed control using "RC" stuff?

Posted by Peter Seddon
on 2003-02-04 12:29:50 UTC
Servo means 'slave'. In other words something that should do what it is
told. This is achieved by measuring the parameter to be controlled,
comparing it with the desired value, producing an error and using that to
make an adjustment. The parameter to be controlled could be speed, current
or whatever.

I think what you need to control speed accurately under varying load is a
tacho coupled to the motor to provide an actual speed signal and use a speed
controller to act as a speed servo. You could use an encoder and a PLL but
that is increasing the complexity considerably.

An RC controller is a very simple speed controller converting the PWM input
from the receiver to produce a chopped variable voltage dc output to vary
motor speed. Usually they are single ended and so cannot reverse or brake
the motor (except very crudely).

One of your considerations is will a single ended controller be able to
control the motor especially give the performance you require. Or do you
need a bidirectional controller that will accept energy from the motor to
brake it.

Regards Peter