CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2908

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-02-04 19:15:26 UTC
>    From: "Keith Rumley" <DSCadCam@...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Moog makes it home
<s>
> I think Ray Henry had some thoughts about EMC'ing a Moog at some point.
> I skipped the Moog head altogether, so I really can't help any there.
>
> - Keith

Hi Keith.

I always have thoughts. Some are just better than others.<g> I wound up
selling parts off both of my Moogs. But I have enough left to build one
-- someday.
(comments mixed in)

> > Got a question about that y actuator. In the manual it looks like
> > the thing is supported from a piece that extends down and forwards
> > from the saddle, inside the knee cavity. If this is correct, could
> > that piece be used for the nut attachment point? Looks like it might
> > have to be shortened if the knee extension is to be eliminated, but
> > does that look to you like something that would work?
>
> It could. I didn't use it because my servo mount would have protruded
> too far if I had mounted it on the extension casting. It does have the
> benefit of a ready mount location uder the saddle, though.

I did replace the hydraulic actuators on one of these with acme thread.
I used the holes where the acutators bolted for both the x and y. I
used the base of the existing angle brackets but flipped them around so
that they were under the table and saddle. I modified them to fit the
acme nut. While these mounts are near one end, they worked okay for full
travel.

> > Other things to think about of course are the speed control and gear
> > change mechanisms. As long as they still work properly though I
> > don't really expect any real complications there. It'd be nice to
> > streamline all that stuff piled up on top of the head though. I
> > really don't think I'll be all that much interested in keeping the
> > big square fiberglass covers.

This streamline of the top of the head is a bit hard to do. There is a
large cast bracket that extends both ways from the quill. I used this to
mount a z acme screw but I never found a good way to run it except with a
motor.

On the MHP retrofits of the Hydrapoint, they used the right hand side of
this bracket, where the old hydarulic acutator was for a ball screw and
mounted the motor behind and drove it with a belt. The encoder sits
right on top of the screw.

If you keep the automatic tool change stuff, there is a solenoid that
rams a dog into a flat on the spindle shaft to orient the spindle, then
the gear motor up there turns the threaded rod that holds the tools.

Keith replaced all of this and that is the easiest to do if you plan a
manual mill. Otherwise that stuff up there is designed to allow you to
change tools under machine control. If you are happy with manual tool
change you could get rid of most all of it and figure out other ways to
lock the spindle, turn the tensioner, change gears, and lower the quill.

HTH

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2003-02-04 19:15:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2908