CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Fw: Magneto fixture

Posted by Myron Cherry
From: David Volosky
To: mcherry@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:17 PM
Subject: Magneto fixture

Myron,

I am sending a direct reply. I receive a digest of the list. I am weary of joining and re-joining Yahoo - and , once again, none of my passwords and names will allow a direct post to the CCED group. Feel free to post the following information to the group. <<

I have an American Bosch magnetizing fixture that I recently purchased from a now defunct magneto re-builder.
It has a large coil that is wound with double cotton covered magnet wire that appears to be many turns of # 10 or # 12 size. This is ~ 3 1/2 " dia by ~ 10 " long wound over a solid core.
The unit is controlled by a knife switch. It has a broken porcelain base. I would guess it was built in the late 1920's. The adjustable pole pieces that move to fit different magnetos are held by end supports bolted to the core inside of the coil. The whole affair is mounted to a wooden base that has channels routed in the bottom to accommodate the wiring. This assembly provides a useful magnetic circuit to do the job. I also got a couple of adapters to use with different styles of magnetos. I used an air hose and paint brush to clean off about 65 years of dirt and will try to set it up when the weather warms a bit.

I also have a ' Magna Treater ' ?sp that is a pulsed power supply furnished with several plug - in fixtures for calibrating - by adjusting the PM field of transducers used for acceleration and vibration monitoring in older military aircraft.

I guess there is no new magic.

Dave

Myron Cherry 2003-02-04 22:51:12 UTC Fw: Magneto fixture