CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: not stepping - update

on 2003-02-13 17:07:05 UTC
Hi,

Just to let you know, Mariss builds one heck of drive, and I'm lucky.

As you may know, I could get my 23's to run, but not my 34's.

I tried 9 of my 23's and almost re-built the 10th with new bearings
just to watch that one not spin.

I connected jumper wires so I could try out the different units and
not have to move all over the shop to do so.

I even changed the drill press Z feed to use smaller motors.

today, while testing that new feed, I grabbed one of the wires
hanging all over the workbench and connected to another wire that
would let me get the proper plug for the stepper. when I turned on
the power, pop. I blew 2 fuses. one on one of the Geckos I had
disconnected and laid the wire aside on the bench........ yeah, I
plugged the output of two Geckos together.

Well, the 470 resistors one uses when using fuses didn't pop, but the
fuses did.

and the Geckos still work.

and in my testing, it seems the fuses I used or at least the fuse
holders just don't pass current. I had been pulling my hair out
over the drives when it was the fuses to the power supply.

I used an panel face, screw in style fuse, 18 ga wire and it seemed
all well and fine.

When I changed to an inline fuse, the 34's spin.

So, now I have a ACME screw on the down feed instead of the timing
gears and rack, and the task of re-installing the 34's.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude
<davemucha@j...>" <davemucha@j...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm replacing a Nema23 dbl stack with a Nema34 single.
> Gecko's, changed the resistor. to 21K
> serial, (half winding)
> 1.7 volts, 4.7 amp motor. 6 wire, series (half coil)
> 35V power supply. over 10 amps, 68k cap.
>
> I can hear the motor sound like it is stepping, but no shaft
movement.
> I tried starting at 100 and 1000 for the speed, but no shaft
response.

> I tried an 8 wire and a 6 wire NEMA34 and they both do the same
thing.

> any ideas ?
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread