CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RMV ST400NT controller

on 2003-02-19 17:33:10 UTC
Hi Scott,

Interesting that Jameco would come out with a board like the ST400B-NT.
Are you sure it can do COORDINATED moves with multiple steppers? Both
linear and circular interpolation are needed, at a minimum. Helical
interpolation is also desirable. The stepper's moves must closely
track, otherwise it won't be useful for machining.

Otherwise, I'd advise taking it back, and getting TurboCNC and a
Camtronics board, for about the same price!

You can "subscribe" to TurboCNC anyway, and modify it to generate RS-232
command strings for this board (not a small task). I note that they
supply DLL's and a sample program, so running that might tell you if you
can command multiple motors to move (in coordination).

HTH

Alan KM6VV

Scott Trepod wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I bought an RMV ST400NT controller from Jameco last week, intending to
> build a 4 axis wing core hot wire cutter, and I discovered that the
> programming and control are quite a bit different from what Master5,
> EzCNC, DesKAM, etc. use. I believe you have to send ASCII strings to
> the serial port, like COM1.
>
> Has anyone been successful in mating a Home Shop Machinist type CNC
> package with this hardware? It has some sweet features, like 12 bit
> A/D, Home, Limit and Abort DIO, etc.
>
> Scott
> Kalamazoo, Mich

Discussion Thread

Scott Trepod 2003-02-19 15:58:49 UTC RMV ST400NT controller Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-02-19 17:33:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RMV ST400NT controller