CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2956

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-02-23 11:26:42 UTC
>    From: "forumtvm <forumtvm@...>" <forumtvm@...>
> Subject: Re: Max feedrate
>
> "knives01us <knives01@a...>" <knives01@a...> wrote:
> > I'm kind of new to Flashcut & CNC myself, but when I was setting up
> > my machine I discovered that it will only tolerate about 1/3 the
> > seperate axis feedrate when doing a 2 axis move. Test it yourself
> > with a simple G code program like:
> >
> > G01 X5 Y3 F (fill in your test feed rate)
> > G01 X0 Y0
> >
> > and check to see if steps are lost. I got the circular
>
> interpolation
>
> > figure much the same way, having the machine do a 2" circle drawn
>
> in
>
> > Cad and converted to G code until I found a speed that didn't drop
> > steps, which was only about 1/6 of the fastest single axis move
> > possible.
> >
> > Once you get the fastest feedrates for these 2 settings, you'll
> > probably want to derate them to %70 of their values for reliability.
> > Now that I have the machine setup right, it will run hours on end
> > with no step loss.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dan Mauch 2A board driving Sherline supplied stepper on a
> Sherline mill, wired half coil, set for half-stepping.
>
> It can only manage 18ipm before the motor begin to stall. I don't
> have a dial gauge so I have to guess the setting for max. feedrate.
>
> > my machine I discovered that it will only tolerate about 1/3 the
> > seperate axis feedrate when doing a 2 axis move.
>
> Would the above mean I should set the max. feedrate to only 6 ipm?
>
> Is that a reasonable figure or should I be more ambitious?

18 ipm is good for a Sherline type machine.

I know nothing of the Flashcut system but find it hard to believe that a
feedrate move on a diagonal would be different from a feedrate on a
single axis. Think it's the power supply or what?

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2003-02-23 11:26:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2956