CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there???

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2003-02-23 20:51:42 UTC
At 03:23 24/02/2003 +0000, Thomas E. Jones <tejones777@...> wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I posted before. I can't beleive nobody out there has any
>experience with DeskCNC or DeskWinNC?

I have DeskCNC but have not yet hooked it up to my driver (Xylotex 3-axis
card).

>The DeskWinNC sounds intriging. DeskCNC also looks
>interesting, but I can't find anyone whose tried it (who's
>not also selling it.) I wondered how well their system
>works. I like the idea of a windows computer, with the
>critical timing offloaded to a cheap little controller.
>My questions are:
>
>1) How fast of a computer does it take to keep up with
>machining? I typically aim for max of only 4000 pulses/sec.
>Could an older pentium 200 keep up?

Not clear to me yet - I guess it will depend on how many short moves you use.

>2) Is it easy to install and run? Are the glitches out of
>the system, or are there still a few bugs I'll find?

Software installation is easy; the software looks pretty easy to use also.
The setup screens are heavy going though - for example, if you set it to
Imperial units, you still have to give it the screw pitches in steps per
mm, which seems crazy to me. I guess this may get ironed out as the product
develops.

>3) Should I get the older DeskWinNC for $200 (controller
>included) or shell out $300 + ($50 for controller after 3/1)
>for the bells and whistles of DeskCNC? Or maybe I should
>wait for the USB version of DeskCNC controller, which is
>currently in development (I heard it can be much faster, if
>you program many short linear moves.) Unfortunately, it
>isn't available yet, and who knows what the price will be.

If you buy the current serial port version, it isn't a great loss if you
later go for the USB.

>If nobody out there is using these products, any chance
>DeskNC folks will give me a real cheap evaluation system
>for me to review, and post my findings? How about I pay for
>the hardware, I get the software free, and in exchange I
>provide a comprehensive evaluation of it for others.

The software can be evaluated for free (you get a month I think). So
effectively, you can buy the hardware & evaluate the software for free.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Thomas E. Jones <tejones777@a... 2003-02-23 19:23:02 UTC Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there??? Tony Jeffree 2003-02-23 20:51:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there??? forumtvm <forumtvm@y... 2003-02-24 06:19:42 UTC Re: Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there??? forumtvm <forumtvm@y... 2003-02-24 06:20:24 UTC Re: Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there??? IMService 2003-02-24 17:23:49 UTC Re: Re: Any DeskCNC or DeskWinNC users out there??? forumtvm 2003-03-08 07:49:30 UTC Max stepper speed (Sherline) Daniel J. Statman 2003-03-08 07:59:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Max stepper speed (Sherline) alenz2002 2003-03-09 01:29:16 UTC Re: Max stepper speed (Sherline) forumtvm 2003-03-13 14:48:40 UTC Re: Max stepper speed (Sherline)