CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Router Head/Motor???

Posted by CL
on 2003-02-24 10:14:27 UTC
Fusion X Studio wrote:

>I'm building my CNC router and am almost complete. The design is
>approximately 32"(x)28"(y)8"(z). I would like to be able to chuck a 1/4"
>end mill and be able to cut at depths of about 6~12 inches.

These "goals" sound quite scary. I know of know good way to keep a 1/4"
diameter bit of any kind, straight enough to cut anything if it is going
to be that long. At least not unless you plan to really "creep" along.
Additionally, any tooling that just might be soft enough to bend, could
create quite a hazzard if it did bend and throw an imbalance onto the
spindle shaft. Even a 1/2" diameter bit 6" longtakes a little planning
if you want things to work right.

> I don't think a
>router will do because of the depths I want to cut. If cutting almost
>vertical cut the router would hit after a few inches. Preferably I would
>like to be able to have a 6" cutter but don't know what I could use. Any
>suggestions on a motor/head for my router?

The most brilliant "homebrew" idea I have ever seen to maximize plunge
capability, was done by one of my Plan purchasers. He designed and built
a spindle out of 1.5" or 2" linear *hollow* shafting, which allowed him
to get at least 24" of Z travel.

The shaft thru the center of this "spindle" was driven at the top by a
bracketed Conventional Router via toothed belt, and internally supported
by numerous bearings.

The unique thing in his Case, is that the Spindle/Shaft itself *IS* the
Z axis. By bonding a section of Rack to the linear rail, and running the
Rail within "open" style bearings, the "Open gap" of the bearings
allowed a location for the Rack to be driven.

This is an extremely unique method of keeping the "profile" of your
spindles base, as narrow as possible. Which in turn will allow you to
get in and around a lot more areas of a 3d model.

That in itself may or may not help you do what you are trying to do,
Just thought I would pass it along.

Chris Luebke
DATA-CUT

Discussion Thread

Owen Lloyd 2003-02-23 21:04:41 UTC Gcode and CNC turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-24 06:46:06 UTC Re: Gcode and CNC (Turbo CNC) Owen Lloyd 2003-02-24 10:12:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode and CNC (Turbo CNC) CL 2003-02-24 10:14:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Router Head/Motor???