CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Error Reset Problems?/UPDATE!!

Posted by dakota8833
on 2003-03-14 13:51:41 UTC
I want to thank all those who e-mailed me. Based on these e-mails I
believe that noise is passed though in err/res pins.And I believe this
is causing havoc with the current limit circuity. For those who have
had faulting problems and cured it by slowing down feeds or using
slower ramps. Try this, run everything back up untill you get some
faulting. Then untie the err/res pins and see what happens. I have 5
drives here that fault at different current thresholds with the pins
tied together. but work perfectly untied. Let us know what happens. It
is important to note in the reply the motors, power supply, encoders
etc.used. The goal here is to define an application fix for those who
may use these drives outside there designed intent.

I want to thank my good friend Jason for burning the midnight oil on
this problem. If it wasn't for him I would still believe I did
something wrong ,.. did I wire the drives correctly ,etc. If there is
an application notes doc that spells out what I'm doing wrong, I would
like to see it.

Frank

Bill Tim if this is OT please let me know,.... we can move it.But I
would like to reach as many users as possible so I can fix this problem.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "dakota8833" <dakota8833@b...>
wrote:
> After installing my new system I noticed my X axis faulting all the
> time. So I grabbed the screw and noticed I could easily fault it. So I
> tried the Y axis. Same thing. But when I reset the drives the Y axis
> would bump then fault,.....great! I blew a drive, so a swapped in a
> spare I had. Now to the X axis problem. I checked the current draw at
> fault and it was about 1 amp. So ,...... I ordered another drive
> overnite. By the way both "bad" drives are a year and half old.
>
> Now the interesting part of the story. A friend of mine that I talked
> into buying Gecko's , called me one night and said he was having
> faulting problems. The drives acted weak. Not knowing which drive was
> faulting first because he had tied all the error/reset pins together,
> he untied them. WELL GUESS WHAT ,.... no faulting ,... full power. So
> I take my bad drives over to his house and hook them up, connect the
> error/reset pins together,.. same problem !! Disconnect the
> error/reset and the drives are fine. What the heck is going on!!
>
> Oh by the way the three new drives in my system are working fine. The
> only thing I can think of is maybe those bad drives are really good
> but because the terminal color is different from the drives that are
> working now they must get rejected. And yes I talked to Marriss ,...
>
> At any rate, .. what I'm asking for is any and all past problems
> relating to error/reset oddities with Gecko drives.
>
> Thanks,
>
> "UNHAPPY" Frank

Discussion Thread

dakota8833 2003-03-12 14:35:21 UTC Help! / Error Reset Problems dakota8833 2003-03-14 13:51:41 UTC Error Reset Problems?/UPDATE!!