CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rhino + Guitar curves

Posted by Mike Rainone
on 2003-03-18 08:08:18 UTC
Hi, ddgman2001

Not to disagree too much with you, but having done a bit with Rhino,
Millwizard and my own home brew CNC router, once the system is set up I find
it amazingly fast to go from concept to router.

Two big caveats to anyone new working from Rhino to CNC. If you are using a
real, serious, deadline based project to get up and running, as I once
mistakenly did, forget it. I still, after many parts and successful runs,
have to listen to a wife who always seems to remember my "one month from
receipt of the 80/20 to finished parts" when I make rash promises about the
beauty and ease of CNC. So if you are not now using CNC to make parts, don't
expect this to be easy or quick. Second, the toughest part about Rhino is
creating a "water tight" solid. It is a NURBS based surface modeler, not a
solid modeler. So while it is quite easy to make a solid out of a series of
surfaces, you always have to be vigilant in the creation of the solid.
You will have to dig deep for a while to make sure your edges are not naked,
the seams are tight and you understand G0, G1 and G3 continuity. I had to
take an entire continuity class at Alias/Wavefront in Toronto, (maybe the
best big city on earth, at least during the summer, BTW) to be able to teach
it to the car design students. So, given Rhino's greatest ongoing weakness,
which is filleting, you may have a bit of trouble at least at first with the
nasty seams often created by Rhino's filleting.
On the other hand, they have developed many nice tool for helping you
create good models.

Mike Rainone
PCD, Inc.
Brushy Creek, Texas