CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-03-18 15:27:04 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "int3man" <moparman@b...>
wrote:
> Hello All, Newbie here. I've bought a CNC Ready Mill and am
> ready to purchase the control software to interface with it. Is
> there a Standard or one that everyone appears to like or has as a
> favorite? Cost isn't the primary concern but function-ability is
> important, plus reliability. Thanks for your time. I read John's
> post and am not interested in his clapped out ford. But an old Jag
> would be nice!
> Michael :-)

Now the pitch for MACH1: TEN REASONS TO CONSIDER MACH1

1. It's cost effective, 150 bucks
2. Free upgrades forever
3. Current version (1.996) is stable and "locked" as far as features
go
4. Current version does 25,000 steps per second per axis; MACH2 is
slated to go to 40,000 SPS.
5. Art is working on MACH2 which will allow you to build your own
screens. He is adding the features WE (the hobby guys) want as well
as some commercial features. He already supports slaved axis and dual
axis homing for dual drive axis rigs like mine. He has committed to
adding a THC (Torch Height Control) to a version in next two - three
weeks.
6. Can you surf the web while you do that 3D cut? Probably not.
But you can use the same machine (Win2000 or XP) to run your CAD CAM
while you are not actually cutting. Makes quick changes using the
CAM program a breeze. My Controller machine is mounted in a heavy
duty sealed rack/cabinet and is networked to my design computers in a
more dust free envionment. I can be working on my next design in the
AC while it cuts another and just drop the CAM file to the Controller
machine or dupe the edited g-code file.

8. I don't consider myself to be a beta tester (no more so than with
Microsoft released products!). I have several machines running with
MACH1 and they are as smooth as silk. He does not care if you run
multiple versions and different machines and there is no dongle, or
black box you have to move around.
9. You can drop him an e-mail and often get an answer in minutes.
Others in the group (Master5 group in yahoo groups) will help as well.

10. You can download a free trial (limited to 1000 lines of code)
from his website www.artofcnc.ca and install it in about 10 minutes
or less. Try it in a real world situation before you write the check
and if you don't like it continue to shop.

When Art started this project he was laughed at and sometimes
scorned. Several people vehemently defended the DOS applications and
ridiculed those of us that suggested Windows could be a viable OS for
a controller. Some of those very same people are now over on the
Master5 list telling him how he should be designing the next version!

My interest? Well, I spent my 150 bucks and I want others too as
well; we can all benefit from his rapid development and feature
additions. Besides I am old ex-programmer that really appreciates
the amount of hard work he has done.

Discussion Thread

int3man 2003-03-18 08:37:47 UTC Newbie CNC mill Control Software motovidia 2003-03-18 08:43:16 UTC Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software CL 2003-03-18 11:36:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie CNC mill Control Software caudlet 2003-03-18 15:27:04 UTC Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software Raymond Heckert 2003-03-18 19:14:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software int3man 2003-03-18 19:41:59 UTC Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software Tim Goldstein 2003-03-18 20:02:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software dodge1320 2003-03-18 21:48:50 UTC Re: Newbie CNC mill Control Software