CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko failure/repair

Posted by Dale Peterson
on 2003-03-26 21:10:47 UTC
Chris,
It has been my experience that Power FET's do not handle shorts.
if you think that is what happen then there is a good chance the the
MOSFET is gone.
You can replace it and then check to see if anything else failed by
hooking it up and trying it out.
This has worked for me in the past.
It is a good idea to keep a few extra FET's around anyway.

Dale

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:13 AM, resosys wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm hoping someone has some wisdom on a particular problem that's
> developed with one of my old style Gecko 201 stepper controllers.
>
> Symptoms:
>
> The motor vibrates back and forth as if one of the phases is not
> working.
> Replacing the stepper controller with the other axis' controller
> results in proper operation (motor and wiring are correct).
> The "failed" Gecko powers up and responds to step and direction
> signals.
>
> It seems as though one phase output was blown. There are no burn
> marks or blown parts on the top of the board that I can see. Since
> these are the open case selloff units with no warranty, I removed the
> heatsink/mounting plate and examined the drive FETS. One of them next
> to the mounting screws shows a slight burn mark on the leads.
>
> It may be possible that my motor leads shorted and popped the output
> for that phase since I found a loose wire on one of the pins on my
> motor connector.
>
> Questions:
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior?
> Are there any specific tests to perform?
>
> I have the parts here to repair the unit, if it's possible. I'm
> hoping someone has seen this issue before and can tell me what damage
> was done so I can get a head start on troublshooting and repair.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Chris

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
> it if you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
> for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

resosys 2003-03-26 11:14:52 UTC Gecko failure/repair Dan Mauch 2003-03-26 19:46:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko failure/repair Jon Elson 2003-03-26 21:06:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko failure/repair Dale Peterson 2003-03-26 21:10:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko failure/repair Lee Studley 2003-03-26 21:24:06 UTC Gecko G210's are workhorses! Doug Fortune 2003-03-26 22:01:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko G210's are workhorses! James Cullins 2003-03-27 05:08:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko G210's are workhorses! resosys 2003-03-27 10:42:27 UTC Re: Gecko failure/repair