CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes?

abbylynx wrote:

>Hi again,
>
>I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what methods are
>employed in order to get smooth, glossy finishes on pieces. In
>particular, for ornamental type work. What do "those cool jewelery
>guys" use?
>
>The main problem I have is that end-mills leave trails.
>For flat surfaces, the flycutter does a lovely job, except when
>multiple passes are required, in which case the concentric circular
>patterns interfere with each other to create various interesting
>effects - probably something which if used right could look very good.
>
>I've seen all kinds of deburring tools, diamond-grid wheels and other
>such things in various catalogs. What type of tools are generally
>used to polish things up? Or is this best done by hand?

Well, depending on the work, there are a number of ways to deal with it.
A big flat surface can be sanded or lapped. Various shapes can be buffed
or tumbled, but these will remove sharp corners, which may or may not
be a problem. You can put buffing compound or fine lapping compound
on a brush that is passed over the work in the same way as the milling tool.
You can use ink erasers or Cratex sticks to rub the scratches out.
There's also electropolishing, and probably techniques I haven't even heard
of.

abbylynx 2003-04-11 17:17:19 UTC How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? Paul 2003-04-11 17:20:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? turbulatordude 2003-04-11 19:16:12 UTC Re: How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? Harvey White 2003-04-11 20:16:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? Harvey White 2003-04-11 20:17:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? dcdziner 2003-04-11 22:40:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes? Jon Elson 2003-04-11 22:55:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to get high-gloss, decorative finishes?