CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Built first axis

on 2003-04-23 16:22:40 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "starcast82"
<starcast82@y...> wrote:
> How fast do I need to go ? That is the question, I've built
> everything from scratch so I have nothing to compare to. Never even
> been around a CNC machine, That's why I'm asking. The way I'm
testing
> is I wrote a program to toggle the printer port line and ran it
into
> my controller. Then I put a ruler down and timed it. Kept reducing
> the delay in my program until I found the spot where the motor
> wouldn't turn anymore. Then I went with that. The motor isn't
running
> out of torque because at top speed I put a 25 pound plate on it and
> it didn't seem to have any problem with it, as far as I can tell it
> wasn't missing steps, but can't verify at this point. I'm just
> wondering if where I'm at is a usable speed and go ahead and build
> the other 2 axis or if I need to rethink my design a little. I just
> have a lovejoy coupler going from the motor to the acme rod and
then
> to a bracket with a nut on it. So I think that is considered direct
> drive. Just trying to verify I'm not wasting my time is all.

OK, now you're re-defining your question.

Check out this site :
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/sindex.html

it will offer feeds and speed for different metals.

the fasteset you much go is as fast as your part feed rate would
require. too slow and you would wear our your cutter.

rapids are only to get the part out of the table or between holes.
that is really just waster of time. in a pro shop time=$$ at home it
is free or worth pennies.

one thing you mentioned was adjusting speed, your transisitors
should be swtiching either on the rise or fall of the pulse. the
pulse itself should not need to be any more than about 5 micro
seconds. the time between pulses would the thing you adjust for
speed.

I get 20,000 hertz on my nema23, but run my nema34 at 10,000 hz, no
reason, I just never tested them faster.

hope that helps.

Dave

Discussion Thread

starcast82 2003-04-22 19:25:39 UTC Built first axis turbulatordude 2003-04-23 02:16:00 UTC Re: Built first axis starcast82 2003-04-23 08:25:13 UTC Re: Built first axis turbulatordude 2003-04-23 09:02:24 UTC Re: Built first axis starcast82 2003-04-23 10:48:46 UTC Re: Built first axis Ross 2003-04-23 10:59:38 UTC Re: Built first axis turbulatordude 2003-04-23 16:22:40 UTC Re: Built first axis Mike 2003-04-30 21:24:01 UTC Re: Built first axis