CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper cuts better circle than servo?

pcfw wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A plus point for stepper? Read somewhere (can't find it now) that a
>stepper system cuts a more perfect circle than a servo system. This,
>it seems, is because of the constant hunting by the servo system.
>
>Waiting for response from the servo champions.

Poorly designed or installed servos do hunt, producing noise that will
slowly
drive you nuts. Well designed and installed servo systems produce NO
detectable hunting, without sensitive instruments. My X and Y servos
don't hunt at all, they settle to within one encoder count (.00005") and
just sit there, every once in a while bumping over one count. My Z
axis, due to the weight of the quill, does hunt, at a rate of one
encoder count
avery 4 seconds, roughly. That is, the weight causes it to slowly creep
down
.000025" (resolution is twice as high on my Z due to a 10 TPI ballscrew
as opposed to 5 tpi on the X and Y) until it passes one encoder
transition, then
a command is sent to bump it up. If you can be troubled by a deviation
of 25 Micro-Inches, you aren't making parts on a Bridgeport.
I'd like to see you make a 25 uIn move on a typical stepper system.

Similar servo systems are used to point telescopes to milli-arc-second
accuracy, and do other incredibly fine positioning tasks.

So, a good stepper system is admittedly better than the worst servos out
there, but that does NOT prove the point.

pcfw 2003-05-03 02:56:37 UTC stepper cuts better circle than servo? Jon Elson 2003-05-03 15:41:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper cuts better circle than servo?