CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop:

Posted by Lee Studley
on 2003-05-04 14:22:05 UTC
Hi Tim,
Yep, I think you are right( always the voice of reason :-)), but I
will switch over to that big DC servo and the G340 I've been sitting
on. That should give me back the speed too.

Plus I'm fighting junk measurement tools too for backlash. My DRO that
I defended prevoiusly, Escala II, ends up being way off in adjustment
from the factory and my not be that accurate overall. The scale
mounting is really flimsy and the rod inside can move. I think that
may be adding to my backlash measurement and someone awhile back
mentioned the same with this DRO brand.
Humbled,
-Lee

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...>
wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Just reduce the pressure on the air assist on the knee and let some
of
> the table weight keep the bevel loaded on the same side of the
teeth. It
> will totally eliminate the backlash on the Z axis. The downside is
your
> Z axis speed will be reduced a little. The upside is it is free,
can be
> implemented immediately, and requires no modification to the
machine.

> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
> Sherline products at Deep Discount
> Mach1 & DeskCNC with credit card ordering
> www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline
> Now selling Visual Mill 4.0

Also
> > I came up with a thrust bearing idea to push the bevels together
with
> > an adjustable spring tension that will be easy to implement, but
as
> > the bevels wear it may not last? I bet it will be ok for many
years
> > of my usage...
> >
> > -Lee

Discussion Thread

Lee Studley 2003-05-03 22:17:07 UTC Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop: Jon Elson 2003-05-03 23:24:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop: studleylee 2003-05-04 12:33:27 UTC Re: Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop: Tim Goldstein 2003-05-04 12:44:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop: Hoyt McKagen 2003-05-04 13:14:31 UTC Good by for now Lee Studley 2003-05-04 14:22:05 UTC Re: Ideas needed: techniques to reduce Z axis slop: turbulatordude 2003-05-04 14:55:09 UTC Re: Good by for now