CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: removing encoders from motor shaft

Posted by Terry May
on 2000-03-07 15:43:42 UTC
Just wanted to let everyone know, I made a wedge like Joe described
and used it to get one of the encoder discs off. Managed to do it
without damaging it, but it wanted to cant on the shaft, so I made
another identical wedge and tomorrow will try using them together as
I mentioned earlier.

Bertho, I think your method would work fine if there were room, but
the gap under these encoders to the plate is only about 1/8 - 3/16
inches, so I wasn't able to get any plates in the gap which wouldn't
either hit the mounting screws or flex too much.
Terry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com, Bertho Boman <boman@v...> wrote:
> If you have a regular size mill, otherwise use a drill press:
> Slide two plates under the bushing, one from each side and rest the
plates on the wise or extra blocks. The encoder body now
> hangs under the plates between the jaws or blocks.
>
> Then put a dowel in the chuck and use it as a miniature arbor press
to push out the shaft. That will allow you to gradually
> increase the force in a controller manner.
> Bertho Boman
>
> > From: "Terry May" <tmay@...>
> >
> > Joe,
> > I think you have the right idea, I'm going to try the same
thing I
> > believe. I'll probably make two and try to squeeze them together
with
> > a clamp or press and maybe keep from bending anything, hope it
works.
> > Terry
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com, Joe Vicars <jvicars@c...>
wrote:
> > > I have the same problem Terry described removing delicate
glass
> > > encoder wheels from old plotter servo motors. I successfully
> > removed
> > > one that was already broken by gently prying it off with a
little
> > > stanley nail puller. It takes a little pressure to break the
> > RTV-type
> > > adhesive, but once you get it going it comes off smooth. It is
very
> > > dicey however, the encoders on the ones I have are only .007"
> > thick. I
> > > think there is a better way.
> > > I am going to make a wedge type tool to remove the other
> > encoders,
> > > like a Jacobs taper chuck key. Looks like a little horseshoe
with
> > > shallow ramps on both sides.
> > > Good luck.

Discussion Thread

Bertho Boman 2000-03-07 04:12:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: removing encoders from motor shaft Terry May 2000-03-07 15:43:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: removing encoders from motor shaft