CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Expected precision from acme thread????

on 2003-05-10 11:35:10 UTC
Hi Bill;

Why not consider putting rotary encoders on your leadscrews or motors?
The advice you where given is pretty much accurate. Even with ball
screws you have to take care.

I once worked on diamond turning machines where linear encoders where
used for bulk high speed movements and very high resolution rotary
encoders for cutting the optical surfaces. Fun machines to debug.
This does not mean that high resolution linear encoders do not work,
but backlash and machine slop has to be non-existant.

Of course the answer is always somewhat dependant on what you are trying
to do. I could see where for some machining operations this would be
fine, but I think you will want to use rotary encoders for now. The
thing to understand is that backlash and a host of other mechanical and
thermal issues will always be with you. These problems are best
minimized mechanically as much as possible and then dealt with by the
CNC code after that. You can have the best ball screw in the world
and still end up with measurable errors in positioning, it is a sum of
the parts issue. Acme screws though will most likely have to much
backlash to run as you describe with the type of gains most people want
in their cnc systems.

Dave