CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] swiss turning in minature?

on 2003-05-12 08:08:04 UTC
Hi Graham:
THE killer with Swiss turning is the requirements of the stock and the
lube.
Typically, the stock is fed through a carbide bushing under pressure
lubrication and is centerless ground before being used.
Every Swiss CNC and Swiss automatic house I have ever been to, has their own
centerless grinder to help them prepare the stock.
The stock typically has to be held to +/- 0.0002" for diameter and TIR to
work acceptably well.
These places tend to be pretty stinky too...it's the lube/cutting oil that
has that oh-so-unforgettable "nose" about it.
The poor man's way around all this is to use a gadget called a "follow rest"
or "travelling steady" on a normal engine lathe.
They can be made applicable to CNC machines without much
difficulty...typically it's done with hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders
driving the contact fingers through a linkage.
The fingers function similarly to the carbide bushing on a "real" Swissturn
machine, but are much more tolerant of geometric inconsistencies in the
stock.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Marcus