CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC max step frequency

levindesign wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am planning on building a router using
>ac-servo drives with step/direction inputs
>(reprogrammable for +/-10v inputs for posible
>future full servo system).
>I would like to get about 40-50Khz.
>What is the maximum pulse rate to expect
>from emc, I am running a AMD K6 550Mhz,
>is this enough or should I build a faster computer?

I don't know what the practical limits are, or how fast you can go
with the fastest computers available today. I have been running
Gecko microstepping drives up to 48,000 steps/sec (per axis) with
my hardware step pulse generator and EMC. That is not a limit, the
design is good to 300,000 steps/sec, and can go higher if needed.
This runs with EMC, and is controlled through the parallel port.
See http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/univstep.html for more info.
I demonstrated this at the most recent NAMES show running to
90 IPM with size 34 stepper motors and Gecko 201A drives on a
mini-mill. This system can also read your encoders directly
back to the computer.

(I also have different hardware that can drive analog-input servo
drives.)

levindesign 2003-05-13 01:39:41 UTC EMC max step frequency Jon Elson 2003-05-14 20:36:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC max step frequency