CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Step motor current

Posted by fogassa@p...
on 2000-03-09 18:16:13 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> > step motors run hot specialy when stoped,but not to hot or it
will
> > desmagnatize.If you can't hold it with bare hands than lower the
> > courrent.
> > Hope it helps.
> > Fogassa.
>
> Using what you can hold with your bare hands as a measure is
probably being
> very conservative. I just double checked some of the motors I have.
The
> instructions with a Vexta NEMA 23 says to keep the outer case under
100 deg
> Centigrade and if temps are higher to use fans for cooling. The
Superior
> NEMA 34 with an encoder says the rear end bell of this encoder
equipped
> motor is not to exceed 100 deg Centigrade and the plate has the
temperate
> rise marked as 65 deg centigrade so if you are starting at room
temp you
> will expecting temps around 100 deg Centigrade. No, I don't run any
of them
> that hot, but my point is most steppers I have seem are rated to a
> temperature that I wouldn't even want to touch much less hold.
Agreed you
> get little reduction in torque if you drop from the maximum
amperage, but
> the safety margin temperature wise is there.
>

> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
>
> timg@... <mailto:timg@...>
> http://www.ktmarketing.com

OK!
It was conservative,I just moved to a new apartment,and could not
find the motors data sheet or anything related to my retrofit.Today
I've got some time to do so.
To the motors I've got 109 oz/in the outer surface should not exceed
+ 212F

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-03-07 05:55:03 UTC Step motor current fogassa@p... 2000-03-08 19:00:28 UTC Re: Step motor current Tim Goldstein 2000-03-08 19:37:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Step motor current fogassa@p... 2000-03-09 18:16:13 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Step motor current