CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] phase converter

Posted by Anders Blix
on 2000-03-10 06:49:32 UTC
Didn't know it was that hard to get propper 3-phase in the states.
Here in Norway they will be happy to give it to you as long as you get an
electrician to rewire for it inside your house. I've just bought a house,
and there are actually 3-phase right up to my wall. They do this just in
case someone wants 3-phase.

BUT in Norway we stil have "delta" configuratin, not star. This have
caused quite som problems around. Even more housefires! This because we have
to make our own earth localy at each house!
If you ask for 3-phase you get earth allong as wel. But you are not
allowed to connect something betwen one phase and earth. I think this have
something to do wit why it is so easy to get 3-phase installed.

And about the noise, efficiency and everything: Why not use
electronic inverter???? They must be cheaper, nore efficient, and they make
a LOTT less noise. I bought one for a 2 hp motor on my last mill, and it
costed me about 300$. And for thos you get electronic speed control as wel!

Anders Blix

> From: "David M. Munro" <munro@...>
>

> My shop is in a building behind my house, a residence in a commercial
> zone.
> When I moved my machine shop in, I inquired about bringing a three phase
> line in, since it exists on the pole across the street. I was told that
> there was a 10000+ cost attached to bringing in the three phase, that the
> electricity would be billed at the punitive commercial rates, and that,
> anyway, they wouldn't do it unless you were running 10+ horsepower on a
> regular basis. I bought the Roto-phase. Damn it's noisy.
>
> I'm told that in the era of energy deregulation, you can negotiate with
> one
> of the smaller providers to get native three phase. Anyone had any
> experience here?

Discussion Thread

Anders Blix 2000-03-10 06:49:32 UTC SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] phase converter