CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Injection Mold Machining

on 2003-05-23 08:05:30 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <s.bromley@a...>
wrote:

> You sound like a cnc sales man talking to an engineer or ceo :)

I have to laugh because I am neither a salesman or an engineer. I
have a 2'x'4' laser in my garage shop and I am always looking for
new production methods. I've contracted injection mold tooling
though a local company and am trying to understand why the cost of
tooling molds is so high. I don't think I am naive about the process
I know a lot goes into making molds and tool makers are skilled at
what they do, hence they are probably paid well. I've seen laser
cutters for mold making but they have their limitations.

Randy

There is
> still the problem of ejector pins, water lines (that need to be
run in ways
> that aren't that simple) sprues, gate drops, hot tips, slides,
gibs, locks,
> lifters..... and dozens of other little parts. Lots of molds are
as complex
> as a car motor and have as many moving parts as well as as many
parts that
> need to be heated and cooled. There is also the thing, that you
really want
> to make some parts of the mold out of one kind of steel and other
parts out
> of other kinds of steel.
>
> It's more automated then it was when I started and I'm sure
will get more
> automated. I don't see the day that you will be able to just throw
two
> blocks of steel into a machine and have it dump out finished
molds. Not
> production tools, maybe hand cast prototype stuff, that's
basically there
> now.

Discussion Thread

Randy Bachmann 2003-05-22 17:34:08 UTC CNC Injection Mold Machining Steve 2003-05-22 22:24:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Injection Mold Machining Randy Bachmann 2003-05-23 08:05:30 UTC Re: CNC Injection Mold Machining turbulatordude 2003-05-23 17:24:16 UTC Re: CNC Injection Mold Machining Victor A. Estes 2003-05-24 06:48:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Injection Mold Machining