CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoders and table position

Weyland wrote:

>Okay, having looked into it a bit more, it doesn't look like the linear
>scales I have are going to work with the Kaluga/Mauch DRO board after all.

Why won't they work? Are they analog scales? You can get the basic
resolution of the scales pretty easily, but that might be too coarse.
As long as they provide some sort of quadrature signal, it should be
relatively simple to interface them.

>My reservation against using the itty-bitty QEDS units I have
>is that they measure screw movement and not table position.

Yes, if your screw is of low quality, then anything read out by an
encoder on that screw will be no better.

>Has anyone come across a *relatively* inexpensive solution to
>constructing linear encoders for use with the K&M board & EMC?

There are some schemes for using rollers or wires to turn shaft encoders
with linear motion of the machine. These have been discussed in great
detail in past threads.

Weyland 2003-06-05 19:03:39 UTC encoders and table position Jon Elson 2003-06-05 22:06:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoders and table position Weyland 2003-06-05 22:25:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoders and table position Jon Elson 2003-06-05 22:48:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoders and table position Weyland 2003-06-05 23:21:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoders and table position