CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: First CNC project

Posted by treiman2001
on 2003-06-06 12:51:31 UTC
Thanks Charles,

I can tell that I still have a lot to learn. Things have changed an
awful lot since my Navy days working on a Sonar system that had 1200
tubes and the power amplifiers were in water cooled cabinets.....

I really appreciate the information.

Do you know why some systems use a PLC between the PC and the tool?
Is it to control more I/O than can be accomplished with just the
parallel port? Or is it a power thing to control a drive with larger
stepper/servo motors?

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Charles Knight <charles@i...>
wrote:

> >>Question #1. How do I interface between a PC and the stepper
drives?
> >>Question #2. Do I connect throught the parallel port? What
limitations
> >>exist?
> >>

> It took me a while before I "got it." Hopefully this will help.
>
> 1) There is a black box...a circuit which reads data from your
> computer, usually from the parallel port, and then tells the
stepper
> motors what to do. I have a chip on my desk which takes a "pulse"
as an
> input, and outputs whatever the next step sequence would be, for
the
> stepper motors. Most people will simply buy this box, prebuilt,
and
> just plug everything into it. Gecko makes such a box, and so do
several
> other companies. Masochist that I am...I want to build my own.
>
> 2) With a printer cable. Seriously! There is a layer of software
> inside your computer which will take the CAD data, and turn it into
> standardized instructions for a milling machine, called G-code.
Another
> layer of software reads the G-code, turns it into instructions for
your
> particular machine, and outputs it through the parallel port. You
tell
> it how many steps there are in an inch (200 steps per revolution
for my
> steppers, multiplied by 18 threads per inch for my leadscrew) to
> calibrate it, and then it does the calculations for
you...outputting the
> right number of steps for each axis, through the parallel port.
>
> The way it works is that the parallel port outputs 8 data bits,
> simultaneously...and it does it in binary code. It'll output
something
> that will look like 00100111, with each 0 or 1 being a voltage, or
lack
> of voltage, on a specific pin on the parallel port. There are
chips,
> like the one on my desk, which are hooked to *each* pin on the
port, and
> will read the ones that have voltage on them, as being a pulse.
That
> pulse tells the chip to move the stepper a single step. Then, the
whole
> sequence is repeated hundreds of thousands of times, with different
> 8-bit binary values each time.
>
> Neat, huh?
>
> There is an "optional" layer that you need to know about. The
parallel
> port is hooked up to your computer's electrical bus, and if one of
the
> motors shorts out, sends a power surge back into the port, or
anything
> like that, it can seriously screw up your computer. Sometimes even
fry
> it. There is a box you can use, which uses light to transmit the
> signals, instead of electricity. It optically isolates the
parallel
> port so that any power surges can't get through...there's no wire
> connecting them! It's a "just in case" safety feature.
>
> Even neater!
>
> Now...you asked about limitations. A standard parallel port has 8
data
> output lines. Creative use of some of the other pins has increased
that
> number by a bit. But, needless to say, the number of data lines
will
> limit the number of motors you can control. In fact, it takes 2
pins to
> control each motor...a pin to trigger a step, and another one to
tell it
> what direction to move...forward or back, also coded as a 1 or a 0.
> Another limitation is the speed at which the parallel port
operates --
> it can only deliver "so" many pulses to the motors, in a given
period of
> time...and that depends on your computer as much as anything else.
>
> -- Chuck Knight

Discussion Thread

treiman2001 2003-06-05 18:34:22 UTC First CNC project Hector 2003-06-05 18:41:52 UTC Re: First CNC project JanRwl@A... 2003-06-05 21:25:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] First CNC project Charles Knight 2003-06-05 21:46:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] First CNC project treiman2001 2003-06-06 12:51:31 UTC Re: First CNC project turbulatordude 2003-06-06 19:45:51 UTC Re: First CNC project