CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Looking for Emco Compact-6 CNC or EmcoTurn users of affectionados

Posted by doug98105
on 2003-06-16 09:05:11 UTC
Hi Allan,

I've had a CNC-6 since 1988. I bought it new when the factory was
switching over from that model to the 120 series. IIRC, I paid $16K
which was a substantial discount from list price. Other than the
spindle and collet closer, I believe the 6 & 120 were identical
machines.

Since then I've gotten other machines, but I still use the machine
about once a week. My machine will hold tolerances of .0002" +/-
like it did when new. A little slow by today's standards with a
rapid of only 80ipm, it's okay if you're not running a rush
production job, though.

These are excellent machines, once in awhile I see one for sale and
wonder if I shouldn't buy another. I did buy a complete control
unit off ebay. The seller was planning a retrofit thinking the
machine would not be good in a production environment because of the
stepper motors, he didn't realize these are closed loop systems.

If you have problems with the machine the service center in
Columbus, Ohio will be able to help. The service provided by Emco
is the best I've found with any machine tool supplier.

One problem these machines had was the older revisions of the axis
drive boards. Both of my drives have been replaced with the newer
versions which have been running for at least ten years without
trouble. I've been told axis drives are no longer available from
Emco, that's one reason I bought the spare control.

If you have questions let me know, I think I've been through about
every problem these machines had.

Emco should be able to supply the manual. If not, I may be able to
copy mine, except I think your 1990 machine has slightly different
syntax in some of the instructions.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, A H <flyspeck@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently purchased an Emco Maier EmcoTurn 120 CNC lathe. I'm
tickled pink with the design but am looking for some others that may
have experience with the machine. I'm also in need of the
Programming Manual for the EmcoTronic T1 control. This machine was
built in 1990.

> Thanks,
> Alan

A H 2003-06-15 22:40:09 UTC Looking for Emco Compact-6 CNC or EmcoTurn users of affectionados stephank97 2003-06-16 00:36:22 UTC Re: Looking for Emco Compact-6 CNC or EmcoTurn users of affectionados doug98105 2003-06-16 09:05:11 UTC Re: Looking for Emco Compact-6 CNC or EmcoTurn users of affectionados