CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality check... was reality milling

on 2003-06-17 21:05:18 UTC
Not wishing to dampen your spirit, but a turbine (gas turbine?) is a VERY
ambitious project, particularly, if you have little machining experience.
Notwithstanding, you can make it easier on yourself, if you can purchase as
many of the components as possible. For example, you might be able to
salvage a small turbine wheel from a turbo-fuel injected automobile engine
or small diesel.; Don't feel too badly if you have to purchase some of the
parts... after all, you're probably not going to make the ball bearings
you'll likely be using. besides, the shaft will be machined to exacting
sizes for bearings, the wheel balanced, heat-treated, etc. Then, all you
have to do is machine the housing(s), combustion chamber, etc. My best
guess is that you'll have a stark encounter with reality within three weeks
of starting the project. But this is probably not the list for this
subject, so you might want to try the mlprojects list at:

modeleng-list@... or the Miniature Internal
Combustion Engines list at:

Min_Int_Comb_Eng@yahoogroups.com

They (I'm also a subscriber to both those lists) will be willing, and
anxious to help you. GOOD LUCK!!

RayHex

----------
> From: teilhardo <teilhardo@...>
> hi,
> my name is tei and I am an ambitious 17 year old without a lot of
> money. I have been fascinated with turbines but the cost is to great
> to buy them so I decided that the best way to get involved was to make
> them. I have decided to buy some kind of cnc desktop mill or lathe
> (sherline, maxnc, or taig) but i don't know if it can handle cutting
> turbines and I don't have a clue how to even start on the task of
> milling an impeller so I haven't had the courage to spend $1500 yet.
> Can anyone give me any suggestions, hints or reality checks, I'd
> really appreciate it.
> Thank You

Discussion Thread

Raymond Heckert 2003-06-17 21:05:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality check... was reality milling