CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hard materials

on 2003-07-04 11:52:00 UTC
This question really has no true answer. It is a question of what you want
to accomplish. Are you machining "hard" materials in a production
environment where speed is an important factor? If not, then any CNC
milling machine is capable of machining these hard materials. You just have
to take lighter cuts and/or move slower. It is more a factor of using the
proper cutting tools for the material. The nice thing about CNC is that you
can program the lighter cuts and just let the machine go until the depth is
achieved.

I speak from a position of knowledge on this subject. I machine only
grade-5 titanium on a Sherline CNC mill.

Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
www.statmandesigns.com
dan.statman@...

----- Original Message -----
From: "khais_ettir" <khais_ettir@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 11:25 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hard materials

> Moderator note:
> Much of this question deals with topics that are not appropriate for this
forum (speeds, feeds, coolant, tooling, machine rigidity, etc.), but there
are a few points that are CNC specific (do the axis motors need more torque
than normal, are very small step increments required, etc.). Please do not
post about the general machining issues regarding hard materials as that is
off topic and will be very unappreciated.

> Hi everybody,
> Hopefuly iam asking the question in the right room!!
> iam trying to build my first cnc milling machine .the problem is,
> iwant it to cut hard materials and iam not sure if the machines
> available on the webs capable of doing that even with the right tool.
> cutting hard materials depend on what factors??
>

> appreciate any feedback

timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining