CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lube question

Posted by PDJ
on 2003-07-07 21:51:25 UTC
Thanks. This helps a lot. Awhile ago I got, but never used, lithium
grease for the slides. This was the best the local hardware store had.
So... this is not suitable?

Where can I purchase these other lubricants?

Thanks again,
Phil

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:24:21 -0400
From: "David A. Frantz" <wizard@...>
Subject: Re: Lube question

Hi PDJ;

#2 grease may do the trick for the linear slides.

For ball screws I've used in the past a product called Rheolube and a
product called Nylogel. generally we used Nylogel in the leadscrew
thrust bearings and Rheolube on the ball screw itself. This was used
on very high percision equipment, it might not be worht the trouble on
home brews. Depending on the lead screw #2 gease can also be
used. It especially works well on the more massive screws.

This of course is all dependant on the slide and your intended
usages. Grease can be quite messy and if your slides are non-ball
linear bushings it may be possibble and even advisable to run them dry.

Thanks
Dave

PDJ wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a home built cnc with no instructions. It has ball screws and
>liner slides. The slides have grease fittings but I don't know what type
>of grease to use. Also, how do I oil the ball screws and with what?
>
>Thanks for the help,
>Phil

Discussion Thread

PDJ 2003-07-06 14:57:21 UTC Lube question David A. Frantz 2003-07-06 18:23:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lube question PDJ 2003-07-07 21:51:25 UTC Re: Lube question JanRwl@A... 2003-07-07 21:54:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lube question turbulatordude 2003-07-08 06:56:31 UTC Re: Lube question - and dust