CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Counterweighting the Z axis ?; Power off position h...

JanRwl@... wrote:

>In a message dated 7/8/2003 11:42:11 AM Central Standard Time,
>elson@... writes:
>

>>This would help eliminate the additional inertia of the weight!
>>

>How is this? Newtonian New Physics, or something I missed in school?
>
>Or, instead of "eliminate", you meant "buffer" or the like? Or, do you mean
>one should use BOTH a spring and weight, totalling the Z-weight? Hard to
>envision with no photos! Duh . . .

I was writing in shorthand. If you had an extension spring between the
weight
and the cable or chain long enough so it would never fully contract when the
knee was accelerated upward at maximum acceleration, it should greatly
reduce
the peak torque required when lowering the knee, too. For a full-size mill,
garage door springs might be the thing. (Remember to put safety cables on
the spring so it won't fly when it breaks. I've had several of these go
in my
garage, and the results are pretty spectacular!)

_______________
|O O|
| |
| |
| |
C |
C |
C |
C |
C KKKKKKKKKKK
WWWWW KKKKKKKKK
WWWWW KKKKKKK
WWWWW KKKKK
WWWWW KKK
O = pulleys K = Knee
C = coil spring _ and | = cable or chain
W = Weight

I hope this ASCII art makes sense.

Discussion Thread

JanRwl@A... 2003-07-08 10:04:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Counterweighting the Z axis ?; Power off position h... Jon Elson 2003-07-08 21:40:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Counterweighting the Z axis ?; Power off position h...