CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re: DRO computer

Posted by Elliot Burke
on 2000-03-16 09:21:17 UTC
http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~harbaum/pilot/adxl202.html

The above link shows an accelerometer in a dongle connected to a palm pilot.
If they can do that, why not a DRO?

Elliot Burke

Message: 12
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:11:08 -0600
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
Subject: Re: DRO computer

Matt Shaver wrote:

> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
>
> > From: "Elliot Burke" <elliot@...>
> >
> > A Palm Pilot may be useful as the computer for a DRO.
> > I've seen a few instruments which used them as readout/computers.
> > The cheapest variety is about $150.
> > This would be a step up from a hacked gameboy, and much more compact
than
> > I-Opener.
> > A full keyboard isn't really needed for a DRO, is it?
>
> Nice Idea! What sort of external interfaces do they have? Serial? IR?
> Ethernet ;)

The Palm Pilot III and Professional have a single RS-232 interface. There
is a 'docking station', but I think it is just a connector and cable, no
components.
The IV I think is the first one with IR. Forget Ethernet, at least for a
while.
If those $99 jobs could take Ethernet, it would be a big deal, for sure!

Elliot Burke 2000-03-15 10:49:57 UTC DRO computer Elliot Burke 2000-03-16 09:21:17 UTC re: DRO computer