CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: DRO computer

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-03-16 16:31:22 UTC
Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@...>
> Somebody is producing measuring devices, based on the Doppler effect I
> think, which use the cheaper laser diodes. The resolution was midway
> in resolution between glass scales and interometry. The price was
> still a couple $thou per axis, but it might go down with competition

I don't suppose you have any references for this kind of system do you? I
have just come back from a short holiday in Majorca (a Spanish island in the
Mediterranean) and I was amazed to find that the 'pocket laser' pointers are
now selling there for only the equivalent of 3 UKP (about $5). Needless to
say I bought a few to play with and I've just been pulling one to bits to
see what is inside - there is just a laser diode in a gold plated can - 3
wire connection but only two used - and a small plastic convex lens (why is
this needed?). Connection to the laser diode is direct from the 3 mercury
batteries via a simple push button switch and so I assume that the diode
incorporates current control within itself. The light output is, of course,
red and is powerful for me to see it hitting buildings a couple of hundred
yards away in the dark.

Now I just have to find a good reason for having bought them!!!

Ian

--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

.

Discussion Thread

Charles VanLeeuwen 2000-03-16 09:36:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: DRO computer Brian Bartholomew 2000-03-16 10:23:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: DRO computer Ian Wright 2000-03-16 16:31:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: DRO computer Brian Bartholomew 2000-03-17 00:47:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: DRO computer