CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Serial killer

on 2003-07-16 16:28:14 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, turboking@j... wrote:
>
> Hi list.
>
> Have been lurking for some time. I have a lathe with gecko 201
>drives. I keep burning out one of the drives!!.Came to the conlusion
>that i have "A Serial Killer" stepper motor (bodine electric 1125
>ounce motor. 6.1 volts). Being things are "thight" i am wondering
>if i can use a stepper from an early bridgeport(8 fins running at 90
>degrees to the shaft . P/N on one motor(motors identical) 025805/
>026744.
>
> There are 8 connections marked 1 thru 8 .
>
> I spoke to Mariff at geckodrive, inc . He said the list will be
>able to help me with the" wiring dircetions'
>
> I thank you in advance
>
> Carl

Carl,
No reason why not, it's just the same as running Gecko's to run a
Bridgeport.
The finned Bridgy motors can be one of two types, either a Superior
or a Sigma. Physically they are the same but differ in the way the
terminals are numbered.
I have put a file on my web space at:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/gecko.jp
This shows the gecko / motor wiring for both types.
You will need to test out for continuity with a meter to determine
what type you have.
It's obvious from the wiring which is which.
For these motors you will need a supply voltage as close to 70 v DC
DO NOT EXCEED 70 V and no current set resistor is needed as you will
need all the 7A the Gecko will put out.
The gecko will need to be heatsinked and the latest pentium chip
heatsink and fans make a very cost effective way of cooling these.
It's also a good idea to fit a temperature sensitive switch to the
heat sink with a value of 55 to 60 degrees which is 10 degrees less
than the max recomended. Wire this up between the disable terminal
[7] and earth [12] and it it over heats it will then switch the
motors off.

HTH.

John S.

Discussion Thread