CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

DRO: Inductosyn-3

on 2000-03-16 18:26:15 UTC
Hi all,

I burst out with all kind of "crazy" stuff :) Just don't expect me to answer
any questions, I am not sure if I am able to. I have some trouble with my
ISP, and they have planned to change all the mail services the in the next few
days. For the last month it has been terrible - I don't know what to expect
next )

Well, I just wanted to add a few things:

I may be wrong. I found that our list manager has answered Ian:

>It is a capacitance based system, at one time there was an article in one of
>the HSM magazines about a guy making the strips at home, maybe someone will
>remember it.

This could be correct. I was a bit puzzled when Ian wrote:
"something like printed circuit board with diagonal cuts across it."

This reminds me of something: Does anyone know how a digital caliper works ?

I have had an idea that it could be a magnetic strip, and I have come up with
some ideas of a " vernier scale " . I do know about some strange capacitive
measuring stuff - and I think this could be adopted to use use some form
of " vernier scale".

It could be much more interesting to sum up a few pages about different length
measuring techniques, than just focus on optical linear strips. Some said
that they had made some absolute encoding linear strips, but there is a lot of
different stuff that may work out nice. What I wrote about the "Inductosyn"
was with such things in mind. But, I don't know much about these - so I just
opened up some other thread. I hope some of you could fill in a little bit
more on the subject I wrote, make it more correct, as much of what I write is -
just bursting out with stuff :) But maybe I gave someone a few ideas, and then
I think it has some value after all.

So, back to a few questions:

1.
Does anyone know how a digital caliper works ?

2.
" at one time there was an article in one of the HSM magazines about a guy
making the strips at home, maybe someone will remember it. " Does anyone have
more info about this ?

//ARNE

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 2000-03-16 18:26:15 UTC DRO: Inductosyn-3 fogassa@p... 2000-03-16 20:18:56 UTC Re: DRO: Inductosyn-3