CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] locktite

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2003-07-16 18:15:52 UTC
cadcamclub wrote:

> I am having problem with nuts falling off with constant screwing-
> on/off of the DB25 connector, etc. now considering using Locktite,
> but have no experience with them. If after applying locktite to the
> screw/nut, can one still take them off again if the need arise?

Depends upon which type of Loctite you use. Some are just about as
permanent as welding.
You might consider a product called Vibratite. MSC sells it, and I was
told that Suzuki motorcycle dealers sell it or something similar. This
is painted on to the threads, and you must let it dry before assembly.
It makes for a somewhat stiff assembly but resists loosening due to
vibration, yet allows adjustment if needed.
My first leadscrew upgrade on my MaxNC was to put a nut on each side of
the saddle, similar to Sherline.
One side was fixed. The other side, I used Vibratite on the two 4-40
screws that secured and adjusted the second nut. Never had a problem
with these loosening. Also, unlike Loctite, you can take remove and
replace the screw a couple times and still get some locking action.

Downside is it's expensive and if you leave it sit overnight with the
cap off, the whole jar will set up solid.

cadcamclub 2003-07-16 18:00:16 UTC locktite Jon Anderson 2003-07-16 18:15:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] locktite Tim Goldstein 2003-07-16 18:18:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] locktite, now Off Topic