CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Laser Diodes

Ian Wright wrote:

> From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>
> Hi,

There is an intensity sensing diode there, that's what the 3rd wire is
for.

> and a small plastic convex lens (why is
> this needed?).

The beam from a diode laser expands through a wide angle, more in one
axis
than the other, giving an elliptical beam shape. Shine the laser on a
target
without the lens, and you'll see why the lens is there.

> Connection to the laser diode is direct from the 3 mercury
> batteries via a simple push button switch and so I assume that the
> diode
> incorporates current control within itself.

It doesn't, they use the series resistance of the batteries (and the
laser)
to limit current. Expect shot life with these lasers.

> The light output is, of course,
> red and is powerful for me to see it hitting buildings a couple of
> hundred
> yards away in the dark.
>
> Now I just have to find a good reason for having bought them!!!

I suspect there could be many good uses in the shop.

Jon Elson 2000-03-16 22:26:32 UTC Re: Laser Diodes