CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Harbor Frieght's Micro mill ...... cnc quality????

Posted by Harvey White
on 2003-07-22 07:17:53 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:52:03 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Hi...a lot of talk in the past about Harbor Frieght's "Mini-MIll", but none that I know of about using the Micro Mill for cnc and general quaility of the machine.
>
>Anyone has experience with the Micro-Mill, I would like to hear what they think of the machine and if it would be a good candidate for cnc.

I got one. If you wish to get one, and if there is a local HF store
near you, go and ask them if they will sell it for 149.00. It was on
sidewalk sale for that amount a while ago. The local stores seem to
be closing them out.

That said, it seems to be a decent quality mill, The Z axis is screw
fed, but will need a gas column lift or counterweight to balance the
head. There is no counterforce on it. Z axis will be the most
complicated to do, by the way.

X and Y axis can have a motor mount with a simple piece of U channel,
as it appears that a stepper can be mounted with direct coupling
rather easily. (Nema34).

Spindle power seems adequate, fit and finish seems reasonable, but you
can tell where they have cut a few corners, mostly in the means of
adjusting the gibs.

There is an anti-backlash adjustment for each axis.

for 149, it's an excellent CNC machine. (uses MT2 tooling). The
capacity is a bit limited, but then again, you kinda knew that.

The quill has a 2 inch stroke, but if locked in place, the whole head
can be moved with a stepper.

Harvey

>Thanks,
>Russ

Discussion Thread

Russ Waters 2003-07-22 03:52:05 UTC Harbor Frieght's Micro mill ...... cnc quality???? turbulatordude 2003-07-22 06:15:25 UTC Re: Harbor Frieght's Micro mill ...... cnc quality???? Harvey White 2003-07-22 07:17:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Harbor Frieght's Micro mill ...... cnc quality???? Chris Baugher 2003-07-22 22:46:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Harbor Frieght's Micro mill ...... cnc quality????